River tourism and cruises
Fluvial tourism in Belgium
We propose you to tour the northwest of Belgium, specifically the Belgian region of Westhoek, aboard a houseboat. Discover the beautiful landscapes and historical cities of Belgium, connected through its waterways. With departures from two different ports, in this region you will combine nature and cultural tourism. In these lowlands, a paradise for seabirds and beach buffs intertwine rivers and canals that make up a network of 1,570 kilometers of inland waterways, used for both business and leisure travel.
Your boat holidays on the canals of the area will pass between mills, meadows, swamps, beaches, castles and very lively cities with impressive Gothic buildings.
Crossing the Ijzer river, you can visit the Gothic city of Ghent, the old Flemish capital, as well as the old city of Bruges (Unesco world heritage) and many other historic cities.
In the port of Nieuwpoort you will be able to enjoy a city with a lot of charm and which has some wonderful fine sandy beaches. If you leave from Eeklo, take the opportunity to visit it: one of the cities considered to be the most important in this region, with a particular beauty and a lot of charm. Thousands of visitors flock to the beautiful beaches of Neiuwpoort and Oostende every year seeking the sun and fun of the North Sea. On your boat vacation in Flanders you can enjoy a good swim and then rest in a bar facing the lake.
Throughout your trip you will find typical Flanders towns and villages, you can stop wherever you want and enjoy the local cuisine: mussels and chips and of course their fabulous chocolate. Do not forget to also visit some of its famous breweries.
Belgium – famous for its chocolate, its beers and its lace – will welcome you with open arms and a warm welcome, whatever the area you visit. Its vast green fields, its ancient cities and other treasures are connected by its glossy Flemish canals. Throughout your river cruise, you can take advantage of the historical and cultural heritage of this small country. Visit the monuments, museums, factories or local markets and take your time during your stops to enjoy this charming country.
A river cruise in Belgium will give you the possibility to visit, among others, these famous cities, with the advantage of being able to arrive with your houseboat directly in the cities to visit them on foot or by bicycle.
The cities you can visit:
- Brugges: Friendly city, which preserves a rich legacy from a long time ago. The beauty of its houses, the charm of its canals and the pride of its old buildings will not leave you indifferent. Since 2000 this old city has been a Unesco world heritage.
- Nieuwpoort: With its magnificent dunes full of white sands and its incredible beaches it is a quiet place to discover.
- Eeklo: Considered as the most important city in this region, it has dazzling beauty and picturesque landscapes.
- Ypres: Historical city of Flanders with a lot of medieval charm. An important center for Europeran trade in the Middle Ages, it was also a bastion of Allied resistance.
- Ghent: Capital of the province of East Flanders, it is one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Europe. No other Belgian city has so many prominent monuments and buildings as well as breweries. Inland waterways are generally wide, tidal, and therefore simple to navigate. To get to Ghent, you cross a canal built in 1886, which is only one of the waterways that makes navigation through Belgium so special.
Your tour in Belgium on board a houseboat will be unforgettable!
If you sail through Belgium, you will find wide and tidal waterways, making it very easy to pilot your boat without permission.
Go ahead and come discover Belgium in a different way!
Discover the regions in Belgium
Flanders - Belgique
Famous for its chocolates and lace, Belgium extends a warm…Read more >>