Renting a river boat in Hungary is a guaranteed adventure. I invite you to discover a river cruise through Tokaj to travel the Bodrog River and the Upper Tisza to the heart of the land of the famous Tokaj wine. On this journey you navigate in a unique landscape visiting from ancient vineyards to ancient volcanoes covered by forests, the Zemplén mountains.
Reasons to navigate the Tokaj River:
- River cruise without locks.
- Inland waterways intended only for pleasure, there is no commercial traffic. Sail and enjoy at your own pace between small boats.
- A very rich historical heritage classified by UNESCO.
- Ideal river cruise for lovers of good wine. It has a world-renowned vineyard: Tokaj wines.
- Fishing and bathing is possible
- Intact nature. We recommend you visit the protected park of BODROGZUG-TOKAJ.
Main cities in the Tokaj region
- Tokaj : This city has a very nice urban center. It also has the Wine Museum. It has numerous wineries with tastings, festivals and the best for your summer holidays: a river beach
- Bodrogkeresztúr : Here you can observe stork nests, visit the Hungarian Motorcycle Museum, continue visiting wineries with tastings and to finish and enjoy nature rent a kayak in the wild protected area of Bodrogzug
- Sárospatak: in this city you can see its medieval castle, the Basilica, historical museums, art galleries. In summer you have the opportunity to enjoy organized walks to the mountain lake of Megyer (a few kilometers away)
- Sátoraljaújhely : Baroque city center with its town hall, beautiful churches, Prison Museum, funicular (a few kilometers), Zemplén amusement park
- Tiszalök : Hydroelectric plant to visit. A few kilometers: City, Arboretum, Ecocenter, Adventure Park (Blackbeard) Feketeszakáll
- Szabolcs : Fortress, Mudrány mansion
- Dombrád : Small rivers for bathing, beautiful nature, small open-air railway museum
River cruise through Tokaj
Northern Hungary hides true oenological gems in its labyrinthine cellars. Without a doubt, the king is the tokaj, which leaves anyone who tastes it impressed. To this day no other wine has been flattered by so many kings, popes, poets and spies.
Renting a river boat in Hungary is a unique opportunity to discover Tokaj located on the banks of the river Bodrog: city of wines and festivals that offers you excellent restaurants and wineries classified on the UNESCO World Heritage list. You can taste the famous Tokaj wine that Louis XIV called "the wine of kings, and the king of wines" ...
River tourism in Tokaj gives you the possibility of doing 3 different routes.
- You will sail along the calm river Bodrog at the foot of the Zemplén mountains to the town of Sátoraljaújhely, on the border of Slovakia. If you travel as a family, enjoy here the great Zemplén Kalandpark Amusement Park that awaits you with summer bobsleigh track, zip line, etc. ideal for the little ones and for all lovers of strong sensations.
On the way back, spend the night near the fortified castle of Sárospatak, built in the Renaissance style. I recommend that you stop in the village of Bodrogkeresztúr to go canoeing in the protected park of Bodrogzug-Tokaj. Throughout your trip, the mountains dominate the vineyards, where it is highly recommended that you visit many wineries listed as World Heritage by Unesco.
- Leaving Tokaj, you can also sail in Alto Tisza, heading north, passing through Tiszabercel to Dombrád; or heading south where you can admire the panorama to the Tiszalök hydroelectric power station, before returning to Tokaj.
- Sailing south, you arrive on board your boat without a license to the Rakóczi Palace in Sárospatak, a jewel of Renaissance architecture. All Hungarian riverboats have a swimming ladder and deck mini-shower: perfect for enjoying a break to bathe in the calm waters of the upper Tisza.
With Danfluvial it is possible to rent a boat without a permit in Hungary, if you have already decided on the destination, choose your boat. You already need less to enjoy a unique vacation.