Called by King François I of France "Most beautiful river in the country", the Charente offers from Rochefort to Angoulême, passing through Cognac and Jarnac, one of the most beautiful places of navigation in France. With more than 160 kms of waterways, and only 21 locks.
The Charente region is perfect for swimming and fishing in its crystal clear waters. You will find beautiful castles built with the typical white and yellow stone of the region, and you can stay for lunch in the medieval village. The valley that surrounds it is well known for its cognac, its beautiful castles and its friendly people, which together make this river one of the most beautiful waterways for boat travel in France.
Main points of interest of Charente:
- Angoulême: its Saint Pierre cathedral, the medieval streets of the old town and its defenses
- The great Castle of Saint Brice and the famous starred restaurant “la Ribaudière” in Bourg-Charente
- The tastings of chocolate in Trois Palis
- For children, the leisure park in Saint Savinien with pool and mini-golf: perfect for al fresco dining!
- The culinary specialties of the sea: Marennes-Oléron oysters and tuna
- Inland waterway in Charente: the Charente river
Cities and towns to visit in Charente:
- Cognac: This charming town surrounded by vineyards, allows you to stroll through its narrow streets of the old town of the capital of the province of Charente and discover the city during the 15th and 16th centuries.
- Jarnac: Land of vineyards with a lot of architectural and historical cultural heritage. It consists of 18 cities rich in history and heritage.
- Angoulême: Strolling through its narrow streets you will discover an elegant and lively city. Capital of comics, in the most unexpected places you will find characters from famous international comic books.
- Rochefort: Between land and sea, it is listed as a city and region of art and history. The streets of Rochefort they reflect a prestigious military past where the great names of the History of France appear.
- Saintes: City with a wealth and diversity of heritage that spans a period of 2000 years. In its origins it was a Roman fiefdom, therefore it has a triumphal arch, an aqueduct, and some thermal baths.