River tourism and cruises in Alsace - Lorraine
Alsace-Lorraine offers a very wide historical, gastronomic, cultural and museum complex.
Between France, Luxembourg and Germany, discover wonderful and varied landscapes, picturesque villages, large cities full of life and a rich and cosmopolitan culture.
On the border of the Vosges, the waterways cut in harmony through extensive forest valleys and small villages welcome you with simplicity.
In the heart of Alsace you will find Strasbourg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Regional and European capital, it has been a "crossroads" and a city of exchanges for more than 2000 years.
Discover the pleasure of river tourism in Alsace with boats without a license. River tourism allows you to discover Historic cities such as Verdun, Nancy, Lagarde ou Strasbourg.
Your river trip in Alsace, land of history and gastronomy will enchant you with Strasbourg, city «Europe», or Lutzelbourg, famous for its inclined Arzwiller plane and its boat lift.
Visit picturesque villages and large multicultural cities.
Start your river cruise in this land of history and gastronomy.
Formed by a mountainous valley on the edge of the Black Forest and beautiful by nature, Alsace is dotted with towns and cities that seem out of a story. This region of unexpected and fascinating contrasts, offers its beautiful cities and ancient traditions in a historical and cultural setting that will make your trip an unforgettable memory.
The Marne au Rhin runs 314 kilometers from Vitry-le-Francois to Strasbourg, crossing the beautiful Arzviller transverse inclined plane completed in 1968, which replaced 17 locks and lifts ships 45 meters. The Canal des Houillères de la Saar dates back to 1860 and stretches for 64 kilometers between Saarbrücken and Marne au Rhin.
This idyllic navigable canal will take you through the very heart of the city of Strasbourg with its cosmopolitan center and mountain atmosphere, being able to navigate to Boofzheim. To visit Saverne Y Lutzelbourg, and discover the rose garden or the Renaissance palace. The boat lift of Arzvillier. In Nancy, you will be able to contemplate the baroque architecture and in Saarbrücken you will discover its futuristic art galleries and its baroque palaces.
Also enjoy good Alsatian cuisine, local specialties such as sauerkraut, the flammeküchen or the kouglof, the pretzels, the Strasbourg sausage and cheeses (Munster), as well as the famous Riesling wine. The Wine Route allows you to discover the entire region by combining a walk and a tasting. In this area, the production of white wine has risen to the category of art and the wines are considered the best whites in the world.
You can visit, among others:
- Nancy: It is one of the most important cities in Lorraine, of which it was the capital at some point in its history and still today treasures an incredible cultural, artistic and natural heritage.
- Rohan Castle with its pink stoneware facade in Saverne
- Mittersheim: located in the natural park of Lorraine with its lake.
- Tunnels Niderviller Y Arzviller
- Le Poney Ranch Park, in Boofzheim
- The windmill of Harskirchen
- The castle of Saarbrücken
- Strasbourg : Notre Dame Cathedral and the Rue de les Grandes Arcades. Historical artistic city famous for its exceptional buildings, registered in the Unesco World Heritage.
- The Roman Abbey of Saint-Martin in Marmoutier
If you are going to sail from Saarbrücken to Apach on the routes of Germany and Luxembourg you will need a navigation license (mandatory). Our team of river tourism specialists can help you. Navigating the Canal de la Marne au Rhin and the Canal des Houillières de la Sarre is easy and suitable for beginners.
- The locks of the Canal de la Marne au Rhin and the Canal du Rhône au Rhin are automatic, easy to operate and free. The manual locks on the Canal des Houillières de la Sarre have operators and are free of charge.
For some tours, a license is required, please contact us